The Dark Perspective

Giving you social commentry with a twist of comedy, reviews and downloads. Its commentry about the things that I come across in my life. We all take different journeys in life and this is my journey.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Music Snapshot: Dancehall and Hip hop

So I dropped over to check out the dancehall charts this week and guess who was still number one? Yeah Ding Dong. I wrote earlier in the post "Catch phrases to songs"(march 20) about this song and its lack of lyrical ability but yet still it has resisted the pressure and held on to that number one spot. So I decided to listen to it again just to see what the thing was about this song and found myself slowly being attracted to it. The more I seemed to listen to it the more I could feel my head bopping to the riddim. There is just something about it, if you know what it is then send me a comment?

The riddim of the moment is Tony matterhorn's dutty wine. Just the opening line of his track get you hooked. It goes " Me step inna di club, a dance rub a dub, An di gyal a come wine up on me, Mi stan so tall back against the wall, And now she start climb up pon me". There are loads of other artists spitting some good lyrics on this riddim including Busy signal's lu lu lu but Tony's track is just on another league. Cant wait till this drops on riddim driven or the video comes out. Check out your tube for submitted videos of people doing the 'dutty wine' dance or Ragga Ragga Ragga 2006 for Tony's single. Other riddims worth mentions are nookie , wipe out and sweat riddims.

On the Hip hop front one album is worth it wait in time and that is Rhymefest's Blue collar. Scheduled to drop on 18th of April it features production from kanye West , No ID and Mark Ronson to name a few and features Kanye, Common, Mario, Carl Thomas and ODB. The single Brand new is off the hook and other tracks like All girls cheat, Devil's pie, These days and fever are a close second. Rhymefest's lyrics have been described as " being simultaneously witty and gritty" and taking "best of old school humor from the Biz Markie school, militancy from a Public Enemy class and creates his own unique vocal persona". More on Rhymefest

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Fri Jul 21, 02:59:00 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home